If you are looking for healthy recipes with chicken, then you found the right place for my daughters “Jamaican Me Happy with Chicken, Rice & Peas Recipe”. It’s easy to make, serves 4 people, makes a “COMPLETE” meal, and the best thing is, its under 600 calories!
Healthy Recipes with Chicken – Under 600 Calories!
Jamaican Me Happy with Chicken, Rice & Peas
By Carlene Garrison
Calories 571 / 18 g fat / 48 g carbs / 49 g protein
- 2 red onions, halved and sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil or canola
- 4 chicken legs; skinless (about 2 1/2 lbs)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 chili pepper; minced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped or 2 1/2 tsp minced
- 2 tsp vegetable stock (low sodium)
For the rice and peas;
- 4.4 ounces brown basmati rice
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped or 2 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp of fresh thyme; have extra for garnishing
- 1 tsp vegetable stock
- 14 oz. black eyed peas (if not fresh, try to buy frozen)
- Heat the oil in your favorite non-stick wok or frying pan. Cook the onions for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Coat the chicken with thyme, curry powder, and allspice.
- Place the chicken in the pan and brown. Add in the tomatoes, chili pepper, garlic, a vegetable stock.
- Pour in 2 cups of water.
- Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until chicken is tender. Check temperature; should be at least 145 degrees.
- While the chicken is simmering start cooking the rice and peas.
- In a medium size pot add 2 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- If you’re using frozen peas;
- Add the rice, peas (if frozen), onion, garlic, thyme, and vegetable stock. Cover and set temperature to a simmer for about 25 minutes.
- (f you’re using canned peas add them after the rice is done.)
- When the rice is tender and has absorbed the water, stir in the peas (if canned) and heat.
Eat & Enjoy this guilt-free meal!